In case you don't already know, I love quinoa. And I REALLY love this Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake from Family Fresh Cooking. Call me a hippy, a tree-hugger, granola, whatever! I love it, and I am loud and proud! If you haven't tried quinoa or really embraced it yet, lemmie give you some advice from a well known sporting goods brand. Just do it. Seriously, quinoa is one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet, and it can be substituted anytime you would use rice or flour based pasta. General attitudes towards the great grain are changing too. Even those nerds over at Forbes are taking notice! And I just call them "nerds" because they are all incredibly intelligent, boarder-line genius level human beings who understand the complexities of the economy far more than this girl who can barely balance a checkbook. Any who! Quinoa is the bombdizzy, and this recipe is pretty redonk-a-donk, too. I'm letting my inner high schooler out, can you tell?
Mmmmm so gooey and delish. Aren't you getting hungry just thinking about it? And the avocado...oh the avocado. Stupid drought in California increasing my tasty avocado fees!
Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake
- 1 1/2 cups dry Quinoa, cook according to package directions
- 1 pound Chicken Breast, trim to bite sized pieces
- 1 1/2 cups diced Yellow Onion
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 cups (16 ounces) Red Enchilada Sauce (make sure it's gluten free if you need it to be)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar C
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 cup Chopped Green Onion
- handful of Fresh Cilantro
- 1 Avocado, cut into pieces & dip in lemon juice
- Cooking Spray
- Sour Cream
- Pre heat oven to 375 degrees F with the rack in the middle. Spray a large bake safe casserole (5 3/4 quart size) dish with some cooking spray. Cook quinoa, fluff with a fork and toss with enchilada sauce. Set aside, add to the casserole pot.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Cook onion for a few minutes until fragrant & slightly browned. Add chicken and seasonings. Brown chicken a few minutes on each side. Make sure every piece is coated with seasonings. Cook a few more minutes until chicken is opaque & cooked through.
- Add chicken to quinoa and toss to combine. Top with cheeses. Bake uncovered for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Set the oven to broil. Bake for a few more minutes (about 4 minutes) until cheese is slightly browned & bubbly. Watch carefully so it does not burn.
- Top with fresh avocado, cilantro & green onion. Serve salsa & sour cream on the side.